Alternative Breaks @UCSD strives to equip participants with the skills and values necessary to create a society of globally conscious active citizens who commit to lifelong service. To accomplish this, participants will engage in educational discussions, team collaborations, introspective reflections, and more throughout the school year. Our 5 Learning Outcomes outline the goals necessary to fulfill our vision.
Alternative Breaks @UCSD Learning Outcomes
As a result of participating in Alternative Breaks@UCSD participants will be able to:
- Apply the framework of the 8 Quality Components of an Alternative Break to move along the Active Citizen Continuum.
- Assess and develop one’s own communication and leadership skills to work effectively within teams and communities.
- Analyze the causes and effects of the social justice issue(s) in the historical, political, social, and cultural context specific to the trip.
- Explain the value of identity within the scope of diversity and social justice.
- Integrate their Alternative Breaks experience into action plans for creating change within their own lives and communities.